Depwe Research File
Research materials on Eanes school and Community history for Historical Markers
The Depwe Research File has the materials relating to the Eanes area that were collected by Dorothy Depwe and Linda Vance. Using the research materials collected by Dorothy Depwe in obtaining Historical Markers for Eanes area sites and adding her own research, Linda Vance wrote the book Eanes, Portrait of a Comunity in 1985.
The complete list of the contents of this file is in the EHC Library Locator/Index Notebook. The collection is in the Library with the same numbers and arrangement used by Depwe and Vance in the original collection.
Annexation Issues. AISD and Eanes School District. File 23
Annexation Issues. Westbank Peninsula -Austin. File 58A
Barton Springs - Zilker Park. File 42
Banks and Savings and Loans Associations of Eanes Area. File 57
Brewton Springs School. File 49
Business and Professional Women of the Eanes Area. File 4
Carlson Family. File l5
Cedar Choppers and Charcoal Burners. File 2
Cemeteries of Eanes Area. File 3
Cemetery. Eanes Cemetery on Eanes School Road. File 64
Cemetery. Tarlton-Young Cemetery. File 66
Church Bell. History. File 32A
Church. Old Rock Community Church. History of the Church and Bell. Plaque Dedication. 1986. File 64
Churches of the Eanes Area. File 32
Deeds and Survey Notes. 1863, 1864, 1853. File 16
Dellana Family. File 41
Depwe Research File. Files 1-66
Eanes Area Families. Heffington, Allen, Neal Wafford, Robinson. File 50
Eanes Area Growth. Davenport Ranch. File 35
Eanes Family History. File 5B
Eanes History. Class Paper. File 31
Eanes History. Contest Entry. File 33
Eanes Independent School District Enrollment Projections. Map. 1985. File 43
Eanes Independent School District History. File 47A
Eanes Independent School District Newsletters. 1969-1985. File 47B
Eanes-Marshall. Historical Markers for Ranch and School Sites. File 5A
Eanes, Robert. Grave Marker. 1987. File 62
Electric Utility. Eanes Area Power Line Map. File 60
Elliott, William. Early Resident. File
Fire District. Travis County Fire District No. 1. File 38
Geology. Eanes Area. File 27
George, Bonnie. Articles in Westlake Picayune. 1983-1985. File 61
Graham, Della Edwards. File 40
Headright Land Grants. Eanes Area. 1862, 1844. File 17
Indians. Archaeology. Central Texas. File 10
Johnson, Cecil. Accounts of Early Days in Eanes Area. File 13
Johnson Family. File 11
Lake Austin Hill Country Neighborhood Association. File 58B
Lake Austin/Lower Colorado River Authority. File 1
Lost Creek Neighborhood. Plan for Municipal Service. File 36
Map of Area. 1903-1904. "Travis County Roads." File 26
Markers. Eanes School and Chapel. 1976. File 8 - 9.
Newspapers Published in the Eanes Area. 1950s - 1990s. File 52
Oak Hill-Cedar Valley Pioneer History. Files 28 - 29
Paramount Theatre History. 1976. File 24
People of Eanes. File 20A
Rabb, Mary Crownover. "Travels and Adventures in Texas in the 1820's." File 25
Rissmann, Ernest. Stories of Early Day Eanes Area. File 30
Rollingwood. History. Map. File 48
Rob Roy Family. File 12
St. Michael's Academy. File 55
St. Stephen's Episcopal School. File 37
Schoohhouse, Old Rock. Marker. 1988. File 63
Shelton, Emmett. File 53
Teague Family. File 6
Tom Young Hanging. File 51
Town Crier - Village of Westlake Hills. 1954-55. File 34
Travis County. Histories of Communities and
People by M. Owens. File 45
Vance Notes. Personal Interviews with Eanes Residents. 1986. File 59A
Vance Notes. Taped Interviews with Eanes Residents. 1986. File 59B
Vance Notes. Eanes History, Customs, and People. File 59C. (See File 59C with complete listing.)
Vance Notes. Events in the Eanes Area. File 59D
Video Tape Narrative. Westbank Library. Westlake Picayune, Rylander's Grocery,
Westlake Beach, Wild Basin. File 20B
West Lake Hills, City. History. Map. File 46
West Lake Hills Forum. File 22
Westlake Hills Garden Club. File 21
Westlake Presbyterian Church. History. Teague Deed. Bulian Deed. File 32D
Wild Basin. Now or Never. File 39
Contents of Folders
The Depwe Research File was used by Linda Vance in writing the book Eanes, Portrait of a Community.
This copy of the Depwe Research File has been filed as a collection in the Eanes History Center with the same numbers and arrangement used by Depwe and Vance in the original collection.
1. Lake Austin/Lower Colorado River Authority
2. Cedar Choppers amd Charcoal Burners
3. Cemeteries of Eanes Area
4. Business and Professional Women of Eanes Area. History of the organization.
5A. Eanes-Marshall - Historical Markers for Ranch and School Sites.
5B. Eanes Family History
6. Teague Family
7. William Elliott - Early Resident. Written by Tom Douglas. l976.
8.- 9. Markers. Eanes School and Chapel. l976.
10. Indians - Archaeology. "Culture of the Tonkawas" - Sjoberg. l952
"Indian Burial Ground Found" 2-10-86
"Developers Get Honor" 1-21-86
"The Tonkawa Today", Onward 7-29-86
"Living History in Lockhart" 5-27-86
"Tonkawa Pow Wow", Time-Out 6-7-86
"Archaeology Periods in Central Texas"
"Archaeologist Open Bull Creek History" 2-2-86
"Early Culture" 1-5-86
"Ancient Settlement" 3-28-86
"Eanes Celebration...Tonkawa" 5-1-86
11. Johnson Family History - Quotes from interview with Mary Mowinckle Johnson.
12. Rob Roy Family
13. Cecil Johnson - Accounts of Early Days in Eanes Area
14. Texas History. Dates and Outline of Events
15. Carlson Family. Account Written by Susy Swenson. Copies of Certificate, Tax Receipts, Voting Records, Death Notice, Farm Expense Records.
16. Deeds and Survey Notes. Alexander Eanes, 1863; Jacob DeCordova, l864; Lawrence P. Sundberg, 1853.
l7. Headright Land Grants - Eanes Area. Alex Eanes, 1862; Lawrence P. Sundberg, 1844.
18 - 19. Marker Dedication - School and Chapel. 1976.
20A. People of Eanes
Pat Patterson, Sarah Short, Phoebe Wong, Cary Tobleman, Foe Lawrence, Isabella and Bill Cunningham, Elberta Hunter, Willie Kocurek, Jose Uriegas, Nat Henderson, Dick Rathgeber.
20B. Video Narrative.
Westbank Library, Westlake Picayune, Rylander's Grocery, Westlake Beach, Wild Basin.
21. Westlake Hills Garden Club
22. Westlake Hills Forum
23. Annexation Issues - Eanes School and Austin Independent School District
24. Paramount Theatre History written by Camille Newvar, l976.
25. Mary Crownover Rabb" "Travels and Adventures in Texas in the 1820's".
26. Map of Area, 1903-04. "Travis County Roads"
27. Geology - Eanes Area
28.- 29. Oak Hill- Cedar Valley Pioneer History Association by Mary Mowinckle Johnson.
30. Ernest Rissmann - Stories of the Eanes Area
"Barton Springs and Bee Cave Road"
The Tire Shrinker
Hog Killing and Soap Making
Paisano and Periphery
31. Eanes History by Mike and Dan Molberg. History Class Papers. 1930s
32. Churches of the Eanes Area
Park Hll Baptist Church, Shepherd of the Hills
Christian Church, St. Gregory's Orthodox Christian Church,
Westlake Methodist Church, St. John Newmann Catholic Church, St. Michael's Church, Westlake Church of Christ, Bluebonnet Hills Christian Church, Disciple of Christ, Barton Creek Baptist Church, Westlake Bible Church.
32A. The Church Bell - History of the Bell and Church. Dedication of Marker and Installation of Bell at Westlake Presbytern Church, 1989.
32B. Westlake Presbyterian Church. History; Teague Deed; Bulian Deed.
33. Eanes History by Tracy Waldrop, Contes, 1084.
34. Town Crier - Village of Westlake Hills. Notices, Copies. 1954 -55.
35. Eanes Area Growth. Early Davenport Ranch Land Transaction.
36. Lost Creek Neighborhood - Plan for Municipal Service Proposal for Annexation.
37. St. Stephen's Episcopal School.
38. Fire District. Travis County Fire District #1.
39. Wild Basin - Now or Never
40. Della Edwards Graham
41. Dellana Family
42. Barton Springs - Zilker Park
43. Eanes Independent School Distict Enrollement. Projection. Study by Espey, Huston, and Associates, Engineering-Enviromental Consultants. (See copy in V.F. E.I.S.D.: Enrollment Projection and Facility Planning. 1985. Map.)
44. Westbank Community Library
45. History of Communities in Travis County. Compiled by M. Owens.
Hornsby Bend, New Sweden, Hudson Bend, Carl, Manda, Elroy, Nameless, Kimbro, Lund, Decker, Carlson, Manor, West Lake Hills.
Rural Post Offices.
Mexican-Americans in Farm and Ranch Life.
Blacks in Rural Travis County.
46. City of West Lake Hills. History. Map.
47A. Eanes Independent School District. History.
47B. EISD Newsletters. 1969-1985. (See EISD: Newsletters.)
48. Rollingwood. History. Map.
49. Brewton Springs School
50. Eanes Area Families. Heffington, Allen, McNeil, Wafford, Robinson.
51. Tom Young Hanging
52. Newspapers Published in the Eanes Area.
The Advertiser; Westlake Hills Forum; The Town Crier; Westlake Picayune; West Lake Hills Neighborhood Newsletter.
53. Emmett Shelton
54. Pictures (Omitted)
55. St. Michael's Academy
57. Banks and Savings and Loans Associations of the Eanes Area. 1986.
58A. Annexation Issues. Westbank Peninsula - Austin
58B. Lake Austin Hill Country Neighborhood Association.
(Items removed to LAHCNA File.)
59A. Vance Notes. Personal Interviews with Eanes Residents. 1986.
Dellana, Eberhart, Graham, Shelton, Lee, Fowler, Johnson, Beard, Bullard, Goeth, Bulian, Pierce, Whitman, Roberts, Laws, Patterson, Oestrick, Oliver, Rissmann.
59B. Vance Notes. Taped Interviews with Eanes Residents.
Beard, Short, Poague, Maxwell, Shelton, Marshall, Pankratz, Johnson, Depwe, Douglas, Riske.
59C. Vance Notes. Eanes History, Customs, and People. (See 59C on page 6 of this list.)
59D. Vance Notes. Miscellaneous Notes.
60. Electric Utility. Study by City of Austin for Power Line in Eanes Area. 1987. Maps.
61. Bonnie George. List of Articles in Westlake Picayune, 1983-85.
62. Robert Eanes Grave Marker. l987.
63. Old Rock Schoolhouse. Marker Application. Plaque Text. 1988.
64. Cemetery. Eanes Cemetery on Eanes School Road. History, Restoration, 1983; Historical Marker, Text, 1986. Map.
65. Old Rock Community Church. History of Church and Bell. Plaque Dedication Ceremony. Text. 1986.
66. Cemetery: Tarlton-Young Cemetery. (On Loop 360.)
59C. Vance Notes. Eanes History, Customs, and People Notes for Eanes, Portrait for a Community . l985.
Family Genealogy: Johnson (1858); Eanes-Marshall (1885)
Map: EISD - Early Survey Boundaries Eanes Parent Teacher Association, 1934
Civil War - Women's Activities
Notes: Social History (Vance)
Lake MacDonald, History. 1893-1900
Della Edwards Graham. Quote: Cedar Choppers, 1976
People: Eanes Area - Early Day Families -
Teague, Tucker, Brush, Thurman
Early Day Religion
Beard's Store (Benton Beard)
Schools, Eanes - Early Days (History, Organization,Teachers)
History of Travis County
Former Students - Accounts
Excerpt from Eanes, Portrait of a Community
"Westlake and Westlake Hills" by Olds
Lost Creek Garden Club
"Barton Creek Corrals" by George
"Commodore: Queen of the River" by George
"Colonist Enjoy Wildreness" by George
"Birdwell" by George
West Lake Hills, 1954-1955
"Thirty-Year Era Ends" by George
"Taking a Look at Lost Creek" by George
"Hazy Hills - 1965" by George
"West Lake Hills" by Grieder
Indians of Eanes Area
"Kovar..." by George